Ponfadog Waiting Room
Although horse-drawn passenger services on the Glyn Valley Tramway operated from 1874 until 1886, and then again from 1891 after conversion to steam power, it was not until 1st October 1893 that the GVT purchased the land on which to construct its waiting room at Pontfadog.
The waiting room was sold by the GVT Liquidator to a Mr R W Ellis of Pontfadog Post Office on 27th October 1936.
By the early 1950s the building had become the local collection point for the payment of rates, hence its nickname in those days: ‘Pontfadog Town Hall’. The rates collector would light a fire and make himself quite snug whilst waiting for his 'customers'.
The property passed into the hands of the landlord of the nearby Swan Inn and they used it as a store. In the 1970’s it changed hands again, becoming a shop selling metal detectors and lapidary equipment.
On 6th July 1985, with another new owner, it opened up as ‘The Little Shop’, selling gifts and hosting a Glyn Valley Tramway Group display about the GVT at Pontfadog.
The waiting room again went on to the market in 1989 whereupon it was able to be purchased by the Tramway Group.
The Group has undertaken much work to bring the building up to the standard in which you see it today including the rebuilding of the chimney, plastering, electrical work and the laying of a concrete floor and the damp proof course under the original quarry tile floor. The seats around the walls and the fireplace are original and date from the 1890’s.
Pontafdog Waiting Room is open to the public on special event days as announced.
Please consider making a donation to help us continue to maintain the fabric, fixtures and fittings of this historic Grade II listed building.