Baldwin ex-WDLR 4-6-0 NG Locomotive - Educational Display
The aim of the Trust is to construct a full-size educational representation of "The Yankee", the fourth and last locomotive to be purchased by the Glyn Valley Tramway and sadly scrapped in 1936.
If you would like to help fund this project, please visit our Donation page for information on how you can donate.
A number of large components from Baldwin ex-WDLR 4-6-0 narrow gauge locomotives were acquired by the Trust in 2019. They include an original boiler, smokebox and bunker, and a pair of later replacement pannier water tanks. The parts mainly originate from Baldwin No. 44699 built in 1917 for the UK War Department for use on the Western Front during the 1914-18 Great War.
No.44699 was one of 495 similar locomotives built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works for the British & Allied Military Railways. It was given the War Department number WD794 during its military service.
After the Great War, fifty of these almost identical locomotives were sent to India for use on the Northwest Frontier. Subsequently many of these were sold on to private or industrial railways.
Two of the locomotives (no.44656 of 1916 / WD778 and no.44699 of 1917 / WD794) were acquired by the Upper India Sugar Mills, Khatauli. Here they were named No.1 "Lion" and No.2 "Tiger" respectively.
The sugar mills later became part of Triveni Industries and the name "Triveni" was painted onto the pannier tank sides, with the previous names and engine numbers painted onto the tank fronts. Oddly a photograph of No.2 later in use shows it with the name "Lion" painted on the tank front!
The two locomotives survived out of use at Khatauli and were able to be repatriated to Britain, arriving at Felixstowe together on 9 March 1985.
No.44656 "Lion" was acquired by the Greensand Museum Trust based at Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, and has been fully restored to working order and original condition as WD778.
No.44699 "Tiger" was imported on behalf of the Imperial War Museum for a planned military museum railway which it was later decided not to undertake. Following a lengthy period in storage, this locomotive was at first loaned and then ownership transferred to the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway Trust, Porthmadog. It has now been fully restored to working order by the Vale of Rheidol Railway workshops in the guise of WD590 which ran on the Welsh Highland Light Railway for a number of years after 1923.